General Manager- Large Open Pit, Heap Leach Gold Project
Large-scale Heap Leach Gold Project
The Mining Recruitment Group is a boutique executive search firm focused exclusively on the unique requirements of the mining industry.
We have been retained by our Client to identify a proven GM to oversee day to day operations on their flagship gold project that is now under construction. The main purpose of the role is to manage the overall mining operations, process plant, maintenance and technical services at a large open pit gold mining operation through development stage, construction and into production. This role will suit a mature and experienced professional who is experienced in international projects and comfortable in a residential expatriate role. You and your technical and operations team will form an important part of the Owner’s team providing technical and operating advice to the design, construction and commissioning of the project. You would be goal-orientated and have a strong technical engineering background as well as a proven history of success and exceptional leadership skills and ability to develop and motivate a dedicated team, ensuring that the project is built and operated safely, cost effectively and in line with the best international industry practices.
The position reports to the Chief Operating Officer and has direct reports in the Mine Manager, Process Manager and Technical Services Manager.
- You and your staff will be a key part of the Owner’s team supporting the construction, commissioning and startup of the Mine helping to bring it on stream safely, on time, within budget and producing at or above design specifications.
- Provide technical and operating oversight and advice to the Project team
- Commission the Mine operations safely and on schedule, ensuring early production ramps up in line with the agreed schedule
- Recruit, where necessary, retain, motivate, and lead a talented operations team (including contractors) capable of advancing the project to production on time and on budget.
- Ensure the operating team is in place and ready to operate the facilities and equipment when construction is complete, and that the production ramp-up is not hindered by slow startup of the mining operations
- Lead and develop a multidisciplinary team of professionals to advance the project through various stages of development and operations to achieve project and production goals
- Manage and coordinate operations, maintenance, quality control and engineering to achieve required tonnage and product grade specifications.
- Drive optimization of interfaces between construction and the operations team for smooth handover and continued leadership.
- Operate the Mine safely and cost effectively, in accordance with agreed operating plans and in line with applicable regulations and industry best practice including international EHS Guidelines and Performance Standards
- Prepare budgets Report periodically against agreed plans – adopt a “no surprises” approach to reporting and leadership
- Drive a culture of cost efficiency and continuous improvement in all areas
- Maintain compliance with corporate values, Code of Conduct, corporate sustainability policies and EHS Guidelines and Performance Standards
- Implement the company’s Environmental, Health, Safety and Sustainability management plans and promote a culture of awareness and commitment to safe working practices amongst all employees, which will enable a healthy and accident-free working environment.
- Engage with all local stakeholders including Government, suppliers, communities and civil society organizations to enhance the company’s reputation and manage any risks
- Develop and mentor direct reports and generally coach the team towards delivery of solutions that balance cost and quality
- Ensure compliance in country.
Skills and qualifications required:
- At least 10-20 years’ experience in senior mining leadership roles including project and engineering management, construction and operations in large scale open pit environments
- Bachelor’s degree in mining, metallurgical or equivalent engineering with appropriate designations required,
- Heap Leach experience
- A demonstrated in depth understanding of all aspects of mining and processing operations
- A solid understanding of budgeting and financial planning is essential
- A strong work ethic with a desire to do things safely and efficiently
- Sufficient network to recruit staff and monitor performance
- A demonstrated ability to manage large teams and must be adept at motivating the team and obtaining results; leads by example with a participatory management style.
- Experience living abroad and awareness of cultural differences
- Ability to work effectively in multicultural and multidiscipline environments.
- Strong communication and presentation skills
- Excellent planner
- comfortable representing the company in civic and industry activities
- Team player
Our Client is looking for a proven operator that has successfully led other large scale, open pit gold operations. If that’s you and you are prepared to relocate, you are invited to submit your CV and Cover Letter to: info@Miningrecruitmentgroup.com
Or via the form below
Please note, that due to the number of applications we receive, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Signup to receive our weekly MRG Mining Minute Newsletter, which tracks executive and board changes across the Canadian Mining sector and highlights our featured mining opportunities.