The Mining Recruitment Group is currently recruiting a Project Manager for our client, currently focused on developing one of the world’s largest undeveloped metallurgical coal desposits, located in Northern British Columbia.
Based out of Vancouver, British Columbia, the Project Manager will supervise development of the Company’s flagship anthracite coal project in northwest B.C., from exploration to development and ultimately, production. The Project is a world class metallurgical coal project that will be developed with open pit mining, wash plant and related on-site infrastructure as well as an extension of railway infrastructure to haul coal products for export through the port of Prince Rupert. It is anticipated that the position will require approximately 50% travel.
HEALTH, SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENT:
All duties and responsibilities must be conducted in a safe manner and within a safe work environment. Therefore you will comply with all Health and Safety requirements established by our Client.
– Know and comply with all regulations and legislative requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act for the applicable province or territory and environmental standards.
– Follow safe work procedures and ensure all personnel comply.
– Report any injury illness immediately.
– Report unsafe acts and conditions.
– Ensure personal protective equipment is available and is worn where and when required.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Reporting initially to the VP-Operations, the Project Manager will assume total responsibility for managing the Project, including, but not limited to the following:
Project /Practice Management
· Creates and executes project work plans and revises as appropriate to meet changing needs and requirements.
· Identifies resources needed and assigns individual responsibilities.
· Manages day-to-day operational aspects of the project and scope.
· Reviews deliverables prepared by consultant/contractor before passing to senior management.
· Enforces health, safety, environmental and regulatory standards.
· Prepares for engagement reviews and quality assurance procedures.
· Minimizes our Clientsexposure and risk on the project.
· Ensures project documents are complete, current, and stored appropriately.
· Development of permitting, environmental, engineering and exploration programs as required to augment existing work to date;
· Maintain positive working relationships with First Nations;
· Assist with production of periodic reports and statements for public release;
· A self starter, with multidisciplinary skills and a well-developed sense of responsibility.
· Tracks and reports consultant/contractor hours and expenses on a periodic basis as required.
· Manages project budget.
· Ensures timely and accurate invoicing, and monitors deliverables and receivables for project.
· Follows up with consultants/contractors, when necessary, regarding invoices.
· Analyzes project profitability, revenue, margins, bill rates and utilization.
CRITICAL ATTRIBUTES AND COMPETENCIES
· Understands basic revenue models, P/L, and cost-to-completion projections and makes decisions accordingly.
· Accurately forecasts costs, bill rates and utilization by consultants/contractors.
· Assures project legal documents are completed and signed.
· Excellent interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate work tasks effectively to a diverse range of contractors and employees from different cultures.
· Good people skills, with the ability to develop effective relationships and consultant/contractor leadership.
· Holds regular status meetings with project consultant/contractor and upper management.
· Keeps project consultant/contractor well informed of changes within the organization and general corporate news.
· Delivers engaging, informative, well-organized presentations.
· Resolves and/or escalates issues in a timely fashion.
· Understands how to communicate difficult/sensitive information tactfully.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills
· Sound technical reporting and documentation skills
· Strong commitment to health and safety regulations.
· Possesses a high level of understanding in the areas of coal mining and/or open pit mining.
· Understands legal and environmental regulations in British Columbia.
· Possesses a thorough understanding of our Client’s capacity.
· Maintains awareness of new and emerging technologies and the potential application on the Project
Excellent computer skills, including database management, Microsoft Office and the management of specialized mining software required for the project.
· Bachelor of Science Mining Engineering, and/or Mechanical Engineering and/or experience in project management.
· Minimum of 10 years mining experience, with time spent in development, construction and production.
Experience in the use of applicable Mining software programs such as Microsoft Office and the management of specialized mining software required for the project.
Proven capability in managing consultants, contractors and contracts
Demonstrated capability to develop effective consultant/contractors
Commitment to safe working practices
Experience working in remote locations
Ability to travel approximately 50% of the time.
Please note, that due to the number of applications we receive, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.